Monday, March 14, 2011

Adventures in Sprouting

This was one of my favorite parts of the Emergency Preparedness fair, the sprout lady! (Beverly Johnson). She is great! Did you know you need to know how to "sprout?" I didn't! Not only is it healthy for you to eat on a regular basis, but in an emergency, or if you are having to live strictly on your food storage for whatever reason, you will need a quick way to grow "greens". How do you do that? You sprout them in your kitchen in 3-5 days! This was all news to me. I am sprouting some alfalfa right now, I will post more on that later. 

2 comments:

  1. P.S. I love alfalfa sprouts. I always hate it when I am pregnant because they say I can't eat them. Pooey on all the no no's. (Deli meat is the real killer for me to stay away from.) Anyway, I learned that Broccoli sprouts are WAY healthy for you. So I am trying to find some seeds. Got any suggestions? I can find lots of alfalfa, but not broccoli. They get pretty pricey buying packets of seeds at the hardware store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (sorry, i just saw this!) I will keep an eye out for broccoli seeds! I know there are some places online that sell seeds for sprouting but I don't know how pricey they are. And weird about no sprouts during pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete